Michael Parish Memorial Plaque WWl

Michael Parish Commemorative Plaque, Kirk Michael

Period: 1922-04-17

NGR Easting: 231746

NGR Northing: 490820

Description: Inscription reads as follows: “To the / glory of God / in / memory of the / men from the / Parish of Michael / 1914 who fell in the Great War 1918.”

14 names listed;
First World War.

Also “1939 and in the Second World War 1945.”

7 names listed;
Second World War.

Plaque of Sicilian marble, in a hendecagon (eleven sided) shape. Affixed to an interior west facing wall of St Michael’s Church. The plaque is bordered all round by an interlaced Celtic pattern, inside which the names of the fallen men have been inscribed. At a later date, three plaques have been affixed to the wall underneath the original plaque, to commemorate those who fell in the Seond World War.

The memorial was unveiled on Easter Monday 17 April 1922 by the Lieutenant Governor Major General Sir William Fry KCVO CB. It was dedicated by the Lord Bishop, the Rev. James Denton Thompson and was sponsored by public subcription. The memorial to commemorate those who gave their lives in the Second World War was unveiled on Sunday 23rd May 1948 at 6.30pm.

The memorial was designed by Mr Archibald Knox and sculpted by Thomas H. Royston of 12 Peel Road, Douglas.

Information provided by the Isle of Man Government Preservation of War Memorials Committee.
Image courtesy of Chris Blyth, Isle of Man Photographic Society.

Courtesy of Manx National Heritage via the link at imuseum.im.