St Thomas's Church War Memorial

St Thomas’ Church War Memorial, Douglas

Period: 1923-11-1

NGR Easting: 238177

NGR Northing: 476012

Description: Inscription reads as follows: “To the Glory of God / and in memory of”

[104 names listed in alphabetical order]

“of this Parish of St Thomas / who gave their lives / a reasonable holy and lively sacrifice / in the Great War 1914-19.”

First World War.

Plaque made of Scotch green slate stone. Inscription in gold lettering. 4 columns of names listed, in two blocks.

The memorial was unveiled 11 November 1923. It was originally located on the outside west wall of St Thomas’s church and was then relocated in order to be incorporated into the Memorial Chapel, north aisle of the church.

The memorial was designed by Archibald Knox; the architect was W.T. Quayle and the sculptor was T. Quayle of Douglas.

Information provided by the Isle of Man Government Preservation of War Memorials Committee.

Image courtesy of Chris Blyth, Isle of Man Photographic Society.

Courtesy of Manx National Heritage via the link at imuseum .im.