Drop-In Centre, Talks, Workshops and List of Books and Resources available
Click here to add your own text
From 2017 to 2019 there have been several drop–in centre events at Braddan Church New Hall in the Isle of Man. These were quite informal, lasted 2 to 3 hours, and refreshments were supplied in the way of tea, coffee and biscuits.
These are free.
At these events there are:
- Access to 70+ books, publications and resources available for reference reading and viewing.
- A catalogue of 70+ original Knox works available for viewing, handling and hearing more about. Obviously attendees have to choose which they wish to see at the next meeting as all of them cannot be brought along at once.
Attendees are also encouraged to bring along any items they wish to show and/or talk about.
On 5th May 2019 John Radcliffe brought along, and spoke about, the illuminated illustration painted by Knox for John's mother when she was a student of Knox. The illustration can be seen on the website under Illuminated Letterinn and is No. 20 "ek".
- Film of the lecture given at The 2014 Olympia Exhibition by Anthony Bernbaum was shown and discussed. This was with the kind permission of Culture Vannin and Anthony Bernbaum.
- Talks and Workshops:
- An introduction to the origins of the “Cymric” and “Tudric” ranges by Liberty & Co.
- Industrial espionage in late 19th/early 20th century with examples of design stealing.
- Understanding silver hallmarks, Liberty & Co. marks etc. and info, on Peel Cathedral's Knox designed silver.
- All Saints’ Lonan Church with 2 Knox war memorials, a Knox designed pavement and the grave of Canon John Quine.
- An introduction to “When is a Knox not a Knox.”
If the weather is good the drop-in events are turned into visits to places of Knox interest.
If anybody has particular topics they would like to have discussed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavor to research the subject and give the talk as soon as possible.
Although the drop–in centre events have been held at Braddan in 2017 there is the possibility that they will also be held at other venues in the future.
Books and Resources available