Knox places of interest
Visits to places of Knox interest
Durng 2017 there have been several group visits to places of Knox interest:
- The grave of Archibald Knox in New Braddan Cemetery on the 84th anniversary of his death where a pot of daffodils was placed in his memory.
- Cronkbourne Village to enter the house where Knox was born (the actual number of the house is not known but number 39 has the same footprint as Knox’s house).
- The grave of Archibald Knox in New Braddan Cemetery.
- The grave of Margaret “Mother” Lace in old St. Runius churchyard, Marown. This is arguably the most complex and beautiful grave slab Archibald Knox designed.
- The Manx Museum to have a curatorial talk on the Deer’s Cry by Yvonne Cresswell followed by a close up look at each of the 56 pages of this magnificent set of illuminated pages by Knox. For more information on this work please go to the relevant section below.
- The grave of Margaret “Mother” Lace in old St. Runius churchyard, Marown. This is arguably the most complex and beautiful grave slab Archibald Knox designed. Monday 24th July 2017 was the 200th anniversary of Margaret Lace’s birth.
- Site of the properties and land in Sulby that Knox purchased on 27 December 1901. The original house and studio used by Knox have been replaced by a greater or lesser extent by the properties now known as ”Brookville” and “Brookdale”.
- Maughold churchyard to see the Knox designed memorial to Sir Hall Caine, the famous Manx novelist.
- Braddan New Cemetery to see 11 grave headstones and memorials designed by Knox. The visit started with a headstone designed in 1896 and finished with Knox’s own grave completed in 1933.
- Douglas to see sites important on the Knox timeline. Many of the buildings no longer exist but one got a feel for the layout of Douglas when Knox was young by the use of an 1866 map and old photographs. In all 11 sites were visited following the Knox Story from living on South Quay to his time at Douglas School of Art via the sites of St. Barnabas Church School, Old and New St Matthew’s churches, approximate site of temporary (1880 to 1884) School of Art, blue plaque at 70 Athol Street (although blue plaque had been temporarily removed due to renovation work), the sunken garden on the Promenade opened in 2014, site of the former Douglas Grammar School and the Douglas School of Art (now the Kensington Road Youth Arts Centre).
In 2017 these visits have been free and will remain so for members.
Non-members will be charged £5 for each visit and this will include the electronic receipt of the relevant notes/report.
If you would like notes from the various visits (not all had comprehensive notes) these will be available to members free of charge and £2 for non-members for an electronic copy.
Any non-member on their first visit will be free of charge so they may decide whether the events are value for money.