The Douglas School of Art (now called Kensington Arts).
A School of Art in Douglas was the idea of Governor Loch and his wife.
The original school was temporarily housed at Marsden's Aquarium on Loch Promenade from 12 July 1880 and then moved to a building in Castle Street on 22 November 1880.
Archibald Knox joined the school in 1880 where he flourished and won both school and national prizes for his work.
On 1st March 1882, Knox was presented with a book prize for freehand drawing at the Douglas School of Art.
At the Annual School of Art exhibition Knox's picture of "The Slave" was picked out for comment and, although it was not quite finished, "it was a brilliant study showing great power."
His sketches from nature were also commented upon for "their strong individuality."
Later that year Knox became an assistant pupil/teacher and gained a free scholarship at the School of Art.
He moved to the new premises when it was set up in Kensington Road in 1884.
The building is still there today and is now called Kensington Arts. The wonderful full windows are still present. They were designed to let in as much light as possible to the main studio,
Knox was taught by the principal, Mr Merritt, and great artists who gave of their time freely - John Miller Nicholson and George Sheffield
Knox wrote articles about Nicholson and Sheffield and they can be found under the Miscellaneous section on the home page of The Archibald Knox Forum website at archibaldknoxforum.com.
Knox became teacher at the School of Art when he returned fom a brief stay in America in 1913.
Photographs below show:
Archibald Knox, his fellow teacher Peter Chisholm and their students outside the School of Art in about 1930.
The main studio with a life class being held in the early twentieth century with Peter Chisholm.
A recent image of the main studio.
Please note, Kensington Arts is not open for general public access.