Research and Outreach
There is so much more to research about Archibald Knox and obviously The Archibald Knox Forum (AKFORUM) does not know all aspects of research that are known to different experts and enthusiasts throughout the world.
Therefore, this is more a private view of some of the research topics needed to be undertaken. No doubt there are many, many more and AKForum would like to hear from as many people as possible to say what they believe still needs to be researched and what topics on the list below can be taken off as the facts are already known.
This page will be updated to show information received and also the results of the research being undertaken.
- Is it possible to find out the actual house number in Cronkbourne Village where Knox was born?
- At what date did the Knox family move into 20, South Quay, Douglas?
- At what date did the Knox family move into 24, South Quay, Douglas?
- At what date did the Knox family move into 70, Athol Street, Douglas?
- Were the above properties owned, or rented, by the Knox family?
- Can the properties on South Quay be identified on old photographs?
- Is it possible to determine where the first temporary Douglas Art School was?
- Can people be contacted who may own Knox items, art, illuminated lettering, ephemera etc?
- Is it possible to find out Knox’s censor number at Knockaloe?
- Are there any more photographs of or by Knox?
- What happened to the 3,000 slides Knox made at his own expense to teach his students?
- Is it possible to draw up a list of “definitely not Knox” items so that people will not be duped into paying fancy prices for items not designed by Knox?
- Is it possible to be definitive about works that may have facets of Knox design but as they were adapted by Liberty they ceased to be “Knox”?
- Is it possible to find out why Knox appears to be wearing a wedding ring in a photograph taken in USA?
- Can a detailed map of all Knox sites on the Isle of Man be produced, or can they all be plotted on the Government system Manngis? This would be a great help to tourists and locals.
- Are there any more graves, monuments and/or plaques of Knox design still to be discovered?
- Is there the will to hold a large exhibition of Knox’s work in the Isle of Man?
- Is there the will to have a proper gallery for Knox’s work in the Isle of Man?
- Is there the will to hold a large exhibition of Knox’s work in Ireland, Scotland, Europe or other parts of the world so that as many people as possible realise the greatness of this Manxman?
- Are there people on the Isle of Man, and elsewhere, who are willing to help with the work, research and organizing of AK Forum and future exhibitions? This can be physical or financial help in order to fulfill the objective of the AKForum.
The above are just 20 topics thought up in 30 minutes. They are in no particular order of merit but there is still so much to learn about “Archie” and so many people to communicate the story to.