Lezayre graveyard contains the grave of Archibald Knox's elder brother John.
The grave was completely overgrown until about 2000 when a sexton removed the accumulation of ivy etc, and revealed details of the design.
In 2022/23 T E Cubbon Ltd, stonemasons were asked to clean the grave and apart from some very stubborn lichen the job has been carried out.
One can now see the wonderful wheel cross, Knox lettering and the way Knox has shaped the kerbing.
To find the grave go into the graveyard through the central gateway, walk up the path ahead to the top path of the graveyard, turn left and then immediately right. The grave is the second one in.
John Knox worked with his father in the marine engineering business but after his father's death he moved with his wife to Ramsey and became the proprietor of The Bridge Inn.
From 1900 he was married to Edith Anne Holden, the daughter of the lady who was licensee of the Trafalgar Inn on South Quay, Douglas. In 1893 Edith Anne had been one of the witnesses in the inquest into the tragic drowning of Carmichael Knox in Douglas harbour.
After John Knox's death in 1917 Edith Anne remarried and became Mrs Hely. She died in 1939 and was buried with John Knox and this is why the lettering on the grave kerb reads "Edith Anne Hely".
John Knox's grave after cleaning. The stubborn lichen is over John Knox's inscription.
The beautiful wheel cross and inscription for Edith Anne Hely after being cleaned.
Close up of the Edith Anne Hely inscription, skillfully worked after Knox' death.
Knox's wonderful lettering for his brother at present partially obscured by stubbon lichen.
John Knox's grave in 2022 before being cleaned by T E Cubbon Limited, monumental masons.
A close up of the wheel cross before cleaning in 2022.
Before cleaning the lettering re Edith Anne Hely was almost unreadable.