Onchan Parish War Memorial

Onchan Parish War Memorial
Period: 1924-11-16
NGR Easting: 239881
NGR Northing: 478222
Description: The memorial was previously located in an almost adjoining site on Whitebridge Road, however it was moved to its present site in 1982 due to a road widening scheme. Inscription reads as follows: "In Memory of / [listed names] / of Onchan / who died in / the Great War / 1914-1918."
34 names listed;
First World War.
Also "To the proud and glorious memory of the men of this District / who laid down their lives in the Second World War."
37 names listed;
Second World War.
1 name listed;
The Troubles (N.Ireland).
1 name listed;
Gulf War.
Celtic style cross carved onto tall upright tablet made of Irish limestone. Below this, three stone tablets are set side-by-side.
The memorial was unveiled in its original location on Sunday 16 November 1924 by Mr and Mrs R.H. Broadbent. The memorial was dedicated by Rev. R. Wakefield, Vicar of Onchan. It was sponsored by public subscription.
The architect of the memorial was Archibald Knox and the sculptor was Thos. Quayle. The architect and sculptor for the plaques added to commemorate the Second World War was Thos. Quayle.
Information provided by the Isle of Man Government Preservation of War Memorials Committee.
Image courtesy of Chris Blyth, Isle of Man Photographic Society.
Courtesy of Manx National Heritage via the link at imuseum.im.