St Barnabas Church War Memorial now in the entance of St George's Church, Douglas
NGR Easting: 237897
NGR Northing: 475476
Description: Inscription reads as follows: "Sacred to the memory / of the men connected with this Church / who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1918 / They counted not their lives dear / unto themselves, they died / for God for home and country / Charles Brown . Ewan Kewley / Samuel Fred Burden . Albert Johnson / William Corris . Thomas H. Kelly / William Henry Corrin . James Alfred Kewley / John Albert Craine . Arthur Kewley / Robert Crennell . Robert Kewin / Thomas Crosbie . John Kinrade / Thomas Davies . Harold Moughtin / Alfred Wilson Douglas . Lewis Mylchreest / William John Elliot . John Quaye / Thomas Fleming Green . William Springthorpe / George Frederick Green . Frederick Swinnerton / Norman Douglas Green . Charles Teare / Albion Holmes . Wilfred Uren / John Douglas Walker / Till the day dawn and / the shadows flee away / Barnabas Douglas / Church 3.VII.1922."
31 names listed by alphabetical order;
First World War.
Grey stone plaque with gold inscription by Archibald Knox.
Memorial was formerly located inside St Barnabas Church, Fort Street, Douglas. It was later relocated to St George's Church, Douglas c.1957 when St Barnabas Church was closed. St Barnabas Church was demolished in 1969 and St George's Church became the united parish of St George's and St Barnabas, on the instructions of the Lord Bishop of Sodor and Mann.
The memorial was designed and sculpted by Archibald Knox. It was installed at personal expense and dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Sodor and Mann, G.E. Gordon, M.A.
Information provided by the Isle of Man Government Preservation of War Memorials Committee.
Image courtesy of Chris Blyth, Isle of Man Photographic Society.
Courtesy of Manx National Heritage via the link at imuseum.im.