In Marown Churchyard there are two gravestones either designed by Knox or in the style of Knox.
Both graves have a bit of mystery to them as you will see below, and whether further research into them will shed more light on their history remains to be seen.
William Clucas Lace 2nd January 1918
William Clucas Lace was a son of Margaret "Mother" Lace whose grave and write up you can see in the section on Old St Runius Churchyard.
His brother, John Lace of Derbyhaven, died on 1st January 1918 and William died the next day at the house of his daughter and son-in-law.
Both brothers were buried in Marown cemetery a day apart, on the 3rd and 4th January 1918 respectively. However, it was William Clucas Lace who has the Knox gravestone.
The photographs below show the headstone with wonderful Knox lettering showing the heart shaped "o", "x" like a diagonal cross as used in "The Deer's Cry", and the typical "S," "A"and "L".
To come to the mystery: on the same headstone is the inscription for William's brother Joseph who died on November 26th 1864 at the age of 22. Perhaps Joseph's earlier gravestone had been destroyed or a headstone could not be provided at the time. There appears to be no mention of the death in the contemporary Manx newspapers.
Mary Agnes Kelly 26th December 1942
Mary Agnes lived at 2 Colden Road, Douglas and was 73 when she died.
The headstone has Knox motifs, designs and some lettering upon it but the death of Mary Agnes occurred well over nine years after Knox's death.
Perhaps the family had chosen a headstone that was kept without lettering on it, in a stonemason's yard; or perhaps the family asked a stonemason to create a headstone in the style of Archibald Knox?
The gravestone is very weathered and there is a second inscription to Letitia Kelly, sister of Mary Agnes, who died on 15th April 1951.
At the bottom of the headstone is carved "In my Father's House are many dwelling places."