The QR code is situated just above the post box at Mad Jacks on the South Quay.
William Knox set up his engineering business and had premises at 29 – 30 South Quay and from Archibald Knox’s sketch of the building it was next to the South Quay Foundry. This can be located quite accurately on the 1866 Ordnance Survey map but there is nothing one can point at as being part of the earlier buildings on the site. In early 1893 the business moved to new premises on The Bridge where the new apartment block now stands to the left of the map.
William Knox and his family lived away from the engineering works at first at No. 20 South Quay and then at No. 24. Both properties were a few buildings nearer to the Bridge. More research is needed to know when they moved to 70 Athol Street and whether all the residences were owned or rented.
As a rough guide, the Knox family were in Cronkbourne in c1856 to 1864 +, 20 South Quay 1871 census, 24, South Quay definitely in 1881 and 1891 census. In the 1901 census Archibald Knox was living at 70 Athol Street with his mother Ann and sister Christina (His father William had died a few months earlier) and the family had moved there between 1891 and 1893.
None of the old properties exist any more. All that can be given is an idea in sketches and photographs what South Quay was like in the time Knox lived there.
From about 1871 he attended St Barnabas Elementary School in Douglas.
He attended the Old St Matthew's church until it was demolished and the present St Matthew's was built on North Quay.
His life was to change dramatically in 1880 when he attended the newly formed Douglas School of Art that was set up temporarily on Loch Promenade. In 1884 a permanent Douglas Art School was built on Kensington Road. Knox was a pupil/teacher at the School and later taught at Douglas Grammar School in Dalton Street (where the Manx Telecom building now stands behind Robinson's).
Much more can be seen on our website at archibaldknoxforum.com on the home page under timeline.
Below are 2 sketches of Knox Engineers business premises and presumably as the business became more successful it looks as though it expanded into the much larger premises next door.
South Quay 1932 and the Knox's houses at 20 and 24 are probably
near the steps on the left third of the image
South Quay 1972
South Quay in the 1890s?
Old Douglas looking from above South Quay. Knox's house would have been to the left on South Quay.
Across on North Quay one can see Old St. Matthew's church and the market place.
A sketch by Archibald Knox of paddle steamers at South Quay 1894.
Please note the gasometer on the back right of the picture.
A sketch of South Quay by John Miller Nicholson looking under the old bridge.
The gasometer is in the background and the Knox Properties are on the right.
Date 14th May 1880.