Get Directions
'; ';
Options hide options
Print Reset
Fetching directions...

St Matthew's Church on the North Quay in Douglas replaced the original Old St Matthew's Church on Market Hill. The old church was demolished at the end of the 19th century.

Knox, who was an Anglo-Catholic, attended both churches and was a sidesperson and apparently he had a favourite seat at the back left of the new church.

In the grounds of the church is an impressive WWI memorial designed by Knox. Due to weathering it was replaced in granite with Knox lettering in 1994. It can be reached by a gate from  the side of the church grounds.

Nearer to the church entrance is an old noticeboard which was designed by Knox and this used to have a carving of a fish hooked on a chain at the top of it. Due to youngsters and drunks throwing the fish into the harbour it was lost over the years.

Inside the entrance of the church one can see a newer fish carving - now kept under lock and key.

St Matthews' Church War Memorial

Period: 1921-07-28

NGR Easting: 238104

NGR Northing: 475305

Description: Left hand panel reads: "To the Glory / of God and / in memory of"

[41 names listed];
First World War.

On the right hand panel beneath the list of names, are inscribed the last two lines of J.M. Neale’s translation of the Latin hymn “Dies Irae,” which reads as follows: "Lord all pitying Jesu blest / Grant them thine eternal rest."

[37 names listed];
First World War.

Names are listed in art nouveau style lettering by Archibald Knox, on two plaques of red sandstone and Manx rough stone. Each plaque is mounted either side of a crucifix which is made out of white sandstone. The sculptor of the crucifix was Harry Emms of Exeter.

The memorial was unveiled on 28th July 1921 by Lieutenant Governor Major General Sir W. Fry. It was dedicated by Reverend H.S. Taggart on 28th July 1921. The memorial was sponsored by private donation from the congregation of St Matthew's Church. The memorial was built by Thos. Quayle, a stonemason of Douglas. Memorial designed by Archibald Knox.

In 1994, the memorial was renovated in granite, due to the excessive weathering of the original sandstone. Funding for the refurbishment was partly provided by the Douglas Development Partnership, as part of the Douglas 2000 initiative. The new memorial was designed by the architect Ashley Pettit and the work completed by David Gregg of Gregg memorials.

Information provided by the Isle of Man Government Preservation of War Memorials Committee.
Image courtesy of Chris Blyth, Isle of Man Photographic Society.

Courtesy of Manx National Heritage via the link at

St Matthew's church noticeboard

Old blurry photograph showing the noticeboard and original fish

Replacement fish inside the porch of St Matthew's Church 2023

Old St Matthew's church on Market Hill and the market on North Quay (c1890?)