William Clucas Lace 2nd January 1918
William Clucas Lace was a son of Margaret "Mother" Lace whose grave and write up you can see in the section on Old St Runius Churchyard.
His brother, John Lace of Derbyhaven, died on 1st January 1918 and William died the next day at the house of his daughter and son-in-law.
Both brothers were buried in Marown cemetery a day apart, on the 3rd and 4th January 1918 respectively. However, it is William Clucas Lace who has the Knox gravestone.
The photographs below show the headstone with wonderful Knox lettering showing the heart shaped "o", "x" like a diagonal cross as used in "The Deer's Cry", and the typical "S," "A"and "L".
To come to the mystery: on the same headstone is the inscription for William's brother Joseph who died on November 26th 1864 at the age of 22. Perhaps Joseph's earlier gravestone had been destroyed or a headstone could not be provided at the time. There appears to be no mention of the death of William in the contemporary Manx newspapers.