A visit to see the war memorials designed by Knox at Kirk Michael church, St Thomas’ church, Onchan parish war memorial and All Saints’ church Lonan. At Lonan the opportunity was also taken to see the pavement designed by Knox in 1914 and Canon Quine’s grave. Two-weeks before the trip, Julie Quine discovered a letter from one of Canon Quine’s executors stating that the headstone and kerb were definitely designed by Knox.
A group visited Sulby to see where Knox lived and worked from 1902 – 1905. It was here that he designed many of the “Tudric” pewter pieces for Liberty & Co. Our group then visited Maughold churchyard to see the very impressive memorial to Hall Caine designed by Knox.
A group visited the large items storage facility of the Manx museum and saw 2 or 3 Knox items as well as many other general exhibits. Our thanks to Katie King for her guided tour
A visit to Marown churchyard, Old St Runius churchyard, Renshent Keeill and Onchan churchyard to see gravestones and sites of Knox interest.
The visit covered 5 Knox designed gravestones and the Keeill (old chapel) where Knox wrote a spiritual poem. It was written whilst Knox was laying next to Renshent Keeill and the poem was published in the Mannin journal in 1913.
Visit to Braddan New Cemetery 05 May 2019
Order of graves from 1896 up to 1933
The Archibald Knox designed headstones in New Braddan Cemetery span a period of 37 years and are varied in style, structure and stone/rock composition.
Some are showing signs of weathering whilst others look remarkably fresh.
As well as the front of the headstone many have the patterns continuing onto the sides; and the boundaries of the graves also have telltale Knox designs, cut aways and lettering on them.
There are eight gravestones in Douglas Borough cemetery, designed by Archibald Knox, of which six are in fairly good order, one is almost illegible and another one, where an adjacent headstone has fallen and badly damaged the grave surround.
Seven of the gravestones are dated between 1914 (for J M Nicholson’s death in 1913) and 1930 and the one for Richard Lace is dated 1945. Although Archibald Knox died in 1933 this latter example is the same design (with a few additions) as Knox’s own gravestone.
Knox’s 154th birthday was celebrated on 9th April and it was a beautiful sunny day on the Isle of Man.
We started at Braddan Church at 10am and then entered No. 40 Cronkbourne Village – where Knox was believed to have been born in 1864 (our thanks go to Braddan Parish Commissioners and the prospective buyers of the village for their permissions to do this).
Then to St George’s Church in Douglas where we saw the wonderful St Barnabas War memorial plaque designed by Knox (the plaque was transferred to St George’s in 1957 when St Barnabas Church, Douglas, was closed). The lives of 31 parishioners who died in WWI are listed in alphabetical order.
On to the Post Office headquarters at Spring Valley where Knox’s memorial to those of the postal service who died and fought in WWI is located. It was so poignant to know that this, and the WWII plaques are side by side, are looked upon proudly by the members of the Isle of Man Postal Service and to learn that a ceremony is held each year in honour of the six men who died and the 100 others who served their country.
Marown new church cemetery has two gravestones either by Knox, or in the style of Knox, and these were visited.
A great lunch at The Hawthorn pub.
Then to the Cathedral in Peel. The three pieces of silver in the Cathedral that were designed by Knox (two commissioned by Canon John Quine) were on display and we were blessed with having 4 members of the Quine family with us. Julie Quine read out an account of the origins of the pieces and the history behind the Quine family gifting the pieces to the Cathedral.
Onchan cemetery was the next stop to see two Archibald Knox designed headstones from 1912 and 1920.
The final stop on the 7 hour journey was to All Saints’ Church, Lonan. Talks were given by Tony Pass and Julie Quine regarding the history of the church, the Knox war memorials and the grave of Canon John Quine who was vicar of Lonan for 45 years.